Printers are one of the most popular PC peripherals and at the same time very much prone to issues. There are different types of Windows 10 printing issues and sometimes problems occur to the printer after installing OS updates. Also, if you have an older printer model, it might not be supported by the OS, but sometimes this also happens with newer models as well. In most cases, this can be easily resolved. Here we will see how to troubleshoot printer problems in such situations, read on to know more.
The first step in troubleshooting any hardware issue including that of printers is to use Windows 10 troubleshooting tools, follow the steps listed below.
- Open the system settings by clicking the “Start” button.
- From the settings menu select “Devices”.
- When the “Devices” section opens, select “Printers & scanners” from the list on the left-hand side.
Now that you found the control panel for your printer, follow the steps listed below to troubleshoot it.
- Look for your installed printer on the right-hand side of the “Printers & scanners” section.
- It might be unlisted or will be specified by the printer model number.
- If you found it, then click on it and choose “Manage”.
- In the new window that opens, choose to “Run the troubleshooter” from the list of options on the left-hand side.
- Then follow the on-screen instructions to troubleshoot your printer.
This is the first action that you should do when there is any printer not responding to issues on Windows 10.
If the previous step didn’t work, then you should check if the printer is properly connected to the PC, it may be because the system didn’t detect the device. Ensure that the device is connected and turned on.
- Follow Step 1 to open the “Printers & scanners” section from Windows 10 settings.
- Look for your printer on the right hand side section of the window.
- If it is not there, click “Add a printer or scanner” option.
- Wait for the OS to detect your printer which is connected to the PC.
If the printer is detected after Step 3, then follow the on-screen instructions to install it. If it is an older printer model, Windows 10 will automatically download the necessary drivers. Now, if the printer is older and not listed follow the steps listed below.
- Select “The printer that I want isn’t listed” option.
- Next “Add printer” window will appear, with five options.
- Select “My printer is a little older. Help me find it.”
- Then click “Next”.
Windows 10 will search the PC for your printer that is connected to the system, detect it, and install it for you.
We hope that the aforementioned steps to troubleshoot Windows 10 printing issues will help you to resolve your printer problem.